Get all of the sensors tested to make sure they are working and test the specific ranges the sensors will return
The Magnetometer (Digital Compass)Able to communicate with the Arduino and return accurate values of the direction it is pointing
- 12C (serial) interface
- 1 to 20 hz selectable update rate
- .5 degree heading resolution
- 1 degree repeatability
- 2.5 degree accuracy
|Compass module and IR distance Sensor connected to the Arduino|
The IR distance sensor
|Diagram of the IR Sensor|
- Range: 20 to 150 cm.
- Analog connection
The is going to be to mount 5 IR distance sensors in five prime locations on the car so that it will be able to detect objects from all angles that it is heading. One will be mounted forward to detect things directly in front of it, two will be looking diagonally forward to detect oncoming objects from the side and two will be on the side to detect whether the RC car is riding along a wall.
Because of the limitations in the range of the IR Sensor, the car will have to be able to respond to an object after it is in a range of 1.5 meters so that will be a challenge for the group to perfect.
ROSNow running on an Ubuntu Server with the Arduino attached via USB. The ROS server can be communicated with through SSH or TeamViewer desktop client. A program was written for the Arduino to print simulated NMEA data to its serial port for processing in a python script running on ROS. The python script to parse the data is still being written but the calculations themselves are finished.
|Ross Communication between Arduino and Server|
How far have we gotten with ROS
- Began understanding the basics
- Created simulator to move a turtle around the screen with inputted data
- –Similar to how GPS robot movements will be controlled with inputted data
- Created ROS server and client to process inputted data
- Running ROS on Ubuntu Server until ROS is built on RasPi
- Much more difficult to input NMEA data directly through serial (less support than Arduino)
- GPS receiver will be its own node
|Ability to move servo with Arduino Via Ros|
Xbee Tranciever ModuleData can now be passed between Arduino and ROS through serial.
|Both Xbee Trancievers|
- Creates wireless serial communications between two devices
- Useful for monitoring ROS and debugging code
- Capable of 6 mile transmission
- 156 kbps transmission rate